Friday, February 1, 2013

Plans for the Future.

After I graduate from the Graphic Design department and walk away with that diploma in May, I plan on transitioning smoothly into a job at a local motion graphics firm (or relatable field). At this point in my life I don't have aspirations to achieve any sort of creative director position so this is second in priority to simply broadening my repertoire and strengthening my portfolio. Once I achieve a position I would hope to stay steady there for at least five years before I would even consider moving on unless the opportunity was simply too good to pass up. I believe this looks better on a resume to not have jumped from job to job. As far as getting a job that fits these specifications, there are certain things that I believe I'll have to do both now and come May. In the mean time it would be prudent to begin contacting agencies now and keeping relationships with those that I already have. This may include but is not limited to, going to as many invited company outings as possible, shotgunning my portfolio/resume/graduation date, taking part in two sided informational interviews with companies I'm interested in. It might also be a good idea to inquire as to what other agencies I might be fit for in these interviews. This could show two possible things, one that I'm being proactive, and two, that I'm proactively looking into potential competing agencies. In April I'll likely become more agressive, (if not graciously aloof) when making moves towards certain agencies. I'd almost compare my strategy of finding work to that of buying a car. You want to be respectful and yet firm, all the while making them want to give you a good deal and be ready to pay cash on the spot. Flipping through the stack of bills never hurts either. In this case the deal is a job, and the stack of bills is a willingness to excel in their company as well as a portfolio to respectfully flaunt. It never hurts however for everyone to know who all of the other dealers are.

No comments:

Post a Comment