Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Lines Critique.

Downtown: The line study itself demonstrates regularity which keeps with the buildings repetitious pattern of windows.  I took some of the bricks to make a more gradual transition between the photo and the study, which was previously to sharp.  The text is aligned with the line study/window extension, but it might not be adding any thing to it compositionally and it may have so kerning issues.  The sharp clean lines of the typeface I believe express some of the fast, sleek, and tall nature of the downtown area.  The building itself represents some of the business/living aspects of downtown.  In each of these I tried to use symmetry, asymmetry, and alignment between the line studies, the photograph, and the negative space.  The study and the photo should both represent aspects of downtown while the negative space should emphasis some aspect that is not present.

In this composition I'm trying to again use alignment, symmetry, and repetition.  The type is more integrated into the structure of the building, and plays against the thin vertical lines of the windows.  At the same time the line weight may need to be thicker because of the large blocks between the building segments.  The transition between the building and the study in this composition is much more abrupt than the previous one.  I cut the sections of the windows away from the side of the building and brought the line study up through those spaces to make more of a vertical flow between them.

For this composition I went further with editing out the front facing windows and placing them between two line study segments.  Taking out the windows except for the ones that are open gives it a sense of vacancy.  The text may need to have more presence and be aligned better to the established grid.  The composition  shows continuation and alignment.

With these compositione I tried again to draw attention, through alignment and continuation, to the negative space at the bottom.  The text may need to go toward the bottom for clarity.


I also tried to blend the lines between the building and the line study by bringing in parts of the building into the study and vice-versa.  Text alignment may be an issue.
This was meant to mimic my first iteration, and also give more emphasis on the line study through form and repetition.

The line studies for the midtown compositions are supposed to keep in line with the easier flow of the neighborhood in comparison to the downtown area.  I experimented with staying truer to the original line studies but it seems to busy.  Also placing the text in the bottom area does not feel right.  I ended up trying to take out allot of the original path and continuing the line study up till the upper slice of the image.  I need more of that part to make that work well though.  The text mimics the lines of that part of the photo.


In both of these the bottom half is far to busy and the text does not feel attached enough to the rest of the composition.

1 comment:

  1. downtown poster critique
    #1: I do like the symmetry in this poster. I think that the gradual disintegration of the building into the line study was a smart choice. With the simple typeface at the bottom it keeps your eyes not focussed on the just the top where the line study and photograph are but on the whole poster.

    #2: i think the line study and photograph are nice here. They line up and mimic one another very well. I think the type is the biggest issue in this poster. The text is a little difficult to read, but I do like how it is integrated within the windows.

    #3: I think the simplicity in this poster is nice. The blocked in windows are confusing though. It would probably be difficult for someone to read this, why those windows? EIther making them all the bottom and having a gradual change or not blocking any of the in would be better.

    #4: I do agree that the text should probably be on the bottom for more clarity. I think this building and line study great though. I think it makes me feel interested in the downtown area. The symmetry with the building and line study work well. I also think it was a good choice to have the main portion of the building sit at the top of the page and look as if it is hanging down. It makes for a more interesting composition.

    #5: I think this poster has some alignment issues and with the downtown being so close to that bold black line, it either needs to be right up next to it with no white space or be pushed all the way over.

    #6: This shows a good variety from your other compositions by switching the line study horizontally on the page.

    #7: I think that this poster seems as if it lacking in something. The black curve takes over the page to much. I think if the grass area was dropped down farther on the page it could help. The black curve is to separated from the grass and the text. I do like how the text is sitting on ground level with the grass.

    #8: Once again I think that the black curves are separated to much from the rest of the composition as well as the text. If the black lines were attached to the rest curving path it could help join the two together.

    #9: I think this is getting there a little bit more as far as joining the two together, but there is a lot going on the bottom half. I wish the type was sitting on ground level again like in the first one!

    ReplyDelete