Thursday, June 9, 2011

Sumer Intern Ship's Away!

So my internship at TheRockofKC started more or less officially last week and now that the ball is rolling I'd like to show some of the progress that I've made, and give an update on the projects I'm working on.

The two projects on my plate for right now are-
Designing for "Run for the Silent" here at The Rock.
Run for the Silent is a part of the organization "For the Silent" who helps fight against child sex trafficking.
In conjunction with a local marathon of your choice, you get people to sponsor you through the Run for the Silent website.  The Rock is doing this in conjunction with the different races at the KC Marathon on Oct. 15.  The different material I am creating is meant to both advertise for the event and help in registering for the race as well as fundraising.

Long format banners-


The direction we ended up taking was one that utilizes a shot of kansas city that fades of into the distance , and has a crowd control fence placed infront of it. This fence is not only something recognizable as an object familiar to marathon runners and bystanders, but it also can represent something blocked or a lack of freedom as in a prison or a cage.  That's something that I thought would be a strong image when put in the context of child sex trafficking.  It also serves as an obstacle to be overcome.

Informational handouts-




Image process-



Standard business card format handout-





The other project that I will be delving more into as the prior project soon comes to a close is designing for and reworking/remodeling The Rock's book store "theThread". As it currently stands the book store area (which resides in a rather small space) has some functionality/flow and display issues that need to be adressed.  I will be designing for thinner profile displays that will take up less room and make it easier for the workers in the thread to manage.  Extra book copies and the storage for other items such as merchandise needs to be taken care of as well.
I have some ideas of my own as well as some things that I saw utilized on a trip to and through Barnes and Noble.  I went there to see how the space was laid out and how they managed the display of their books and merchandise.

1 comment:

  1. Cool designs and image processes, particularly on the banners.

    ReplyDelete